Is Jesus Contradicting Himself in Mark 9:40 and Matthew 12:30? I answered this question on this episode of Real Truth. Real Quick.
- When reading Scripture we must not just take one verse, but rather look at the context.
- We can partner with others on issues and not confuse people that we believe the same gospel.
- We can and should be accepting and loving toward all who are suffering under any expression of sin and brokenness before God without ever being affirming of the sin.
- It is possible to be affirming of others on some issues while expressing strong and necessary disagreement regarding other issues of ultimate importance.
- In all our interactions, whenever possible, we should model civility without compromising clarity.
- Always study Scripture to evaluate whether what you hear is true, accurate, and consistent with God’s Word. ( Acts 17:11 )
- We should show civility, kindness, and love in all things. We also need to show clarity in all things.
- We should lift up the gospel and the name of Jesus everywhere, but without encouraging others to follow everybody who says they know Jesus.
“I and the Father are one.” John 10:30
Jesus said to him, “Have I been so long with you, and yet you have not come to know Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; how can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? John 14:9
“For he who is not against us is for us.” Mark 9:40
“He who is not with Me is against Me; and he who does not gather with Me scatters.” Matthew 12:30
“Teacher,” said John, “we saw someone driving out demons in your name and we told him to stop, because he was not one of us.” Mark 9:38
“Do not stop him,” Jesus said. “For no one who does a miracle in my name can in the next moment say anything bad about me, Mark 9:39
for whoever is not against us is for us. Mark 9:40
But when the Pharisees heard this, they said, “It is only by Beelzebul, the prince of demons, that this fellow drives out demons.” Matthew 12:34
“If I by Beelzebul cast out demons, by whom do your sons cast them out? For this reason they will be your judges.” Matthew 12:27
Jesus knew their thoughts and said to them, “Every kingdom divided against itself will be ruined, and every city or household divided
against itself will not stand. Matthew 12:25
“Or again, how can anyone enter a strong man’s house and carry off his possessions unless he first ties up the strong man? Then he can plunder his house. Matthew 12:29
“Who are you to judge the servant of another? To his own master he stands or falls; and he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand.” Romans 14:
Click the following link to subscribe to our weekly videos. – https://www.youtube.com/realtruthrealquick
Click the following link to view our entire archive of questions and answers. – http://realtruthrealquick.com/archives/